Actually, I’m a few days late…the wild rumpus began back on Monday with the return of 16 Tons’ Week of Wild. The celebration, which runs 4/23 – 4/29 at both the Taphouse and Cafe, features 30 wild ales on tap and culminates in the 16 Tons 2nd Anniversary Wild Ale Fest.
Some of the tasty, tart treats to travel the taps this week include:
- Upright – El Coloquio de Cervantes: Barrel Aged Dark Rye Saison with Raspberries
- Oakshire – Frederic’s Lost Arm Gin Barrel
- Flat Tail – Wild Five Amber
- Flat Tail – Put a Bird on Wit
- Flat Tail – 1st Anniversary Ale
- Flat Tail – Raspberry Beret
- Bear Republic – Tartare
- Cascade – Bourbon Barrel Kriek
- Cascade / New Belgium – Pater
- Russian River – Sanctification
- Russian River – Supplication
- Verhaeghe – Duchesse De Bourgogne
- Deschutes – Malhuer Wild Ale
- Commons – Barrel Aged Urban Farmhouse
- New Belgium – La Folie
A very fine list indeed, but did you pay particular attention to the first two items? The first, El Coloquio de Cervantes, is a special barrel-aged blend of Upright Six, Upright Eight and raspberries, crafted by Alex Ganum for 16 Tons’ anniversary. The second is a Gin Barrel-aged version of Frederic’s Lost Arm, an Oolong Tea Saison, brewed by Oakshire for 16 Tons’ first anniversary last year.
And while 30 is already a silly amount of wild ales on tap all week long, things kick into overdrive this weekend with the Wild Ale Fest at the Taphouse. At the 2nd Anniversary event, which has no entry fee, you will be able to sample 70 wild ales for $1-3 each.
Cheers to Mike and Jeff on another great year!